Friday, September 23, 2016

Friday

Well my third day; 
Yesterday I walked with Lucy over the fields with the express need to photo the four crab apple trees that line a hedge.  Their crops are very heavy, green at the moment I shall wait for them to colour up before I pick them for jelly





It is rather a shame that this bitter small apple cannot be used in more ways than one.  We walked along the old hedge bank full of rabbit holes, but no rabbits, a spent cartridge told the reason why. Lucy peered down the holes with interest, this side of the hedgerow there is no wildlife strip but there is on the other side.  The land belongs to the farm which is up for sale, the barns are in a ramshackle state, though the land is farmed the yard is always eerily empty.  When I was a child farms would always be bustling with livestock, chickens running round, pigs in their stys and the low moos of penned cattle.


to be continued...

Well if this was a diary entry for today, bad news is that my grand daughter Matilda, whilst flying across the bowling green in Todmorden at great speed last night took a tumble and broke her arm in a couple of places and strained her wrist.  Luckily her sensible friend with her phoned for an ambulance and now she is in a Huddersfield hospital with her mother waiting for an operation at l pm today, they may have to wire the bones or put a plate in, just like mine it seems.  So today my thoughts will be with her, it is the right forearm, her writing hand unfortunately.  Poor lamb and now I wonder what pressie to buy her...

4 comments:

  1. Poor Matilda - I do hope the operation goes well.
    As to a present. At the moment there is a lovely exhibition at Newby Hall of Giles Brandreth's teddy collection. Is she too old for a teddy to keep her company?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No I ordered a rag doll to be sent to her, she came out of the operation very sick, so they are keeping her in another night on a drip, her mother sleeps in a little bed by her side. What would we do without the NHS, the consultants and nurses have visited her several times this afternoon to reassure her, she had a couple of pins put in to the bones, no silver plate as I have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grew up in a New England farming community--the farmsteads just as you describe--busy and, for the most part, well kept. I know times change, but I haven't enjoyed my few returns 'home' in the past decade--some precious element has been lost as the farms have gone out of production and the 'flat-landers' have moved in.
    I'm enjoying your daily postings, though I'm a bit behind in commenting.
    Poor Matilda--a disheartening experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes my 'daily posting' is a scrabble around in the dark, perhaps I should take notice more of what I read. The modernisation, or industrialisation of farming, is the one thing we have witnessed in our lifetime, can it be that as a child on farming holidays, I helped milk the cows or went fishing with the friendly pig?

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!