Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Taking the Plunge





Well as I haven't written for a few days, my fingers itch, but my heart is still beating at a faster rate than it should. So, we have decided to go for the farmhouse in Newton-on-Rawcliffe, estate agents are doing their business, the 'stuff' in the studio has been put on line for the various bodies interested in Japanese conservation tools and people are already getting in touch.  Scary, scary is my reaction, when this house is sold, the move will be fairly easy, as all the furniture can be moved instantly into the farmhouse, and we can live in the cottage whilst work is done.
Why are we moving to Yorkshire instead of Cornwall.  I think the answer is that we are used to the countryside there and are at home, Cornwall is still a bit strange.  I for one would answer rabbit pie at the Blacksmith's Arm in Lastingham, or maybe Rosedale Abbey, it is the peaceful nature of the villages contrasted against the rugged moors and the black grouse that pop their heads up over the heather as we drive past that spring to mind.  
Perhaps also it is the fly agaric mushrooms that greeted us last time in all their flamboyant colour, fairy toadstools waiting for who knows what down at the beck, a place that has always greeted us with such warmth and that hidden genii loci which we call spirit of place or to quote Alexander Pope when designing a garden.....



Consult the genius of the place in all;
That tells the waters or to rise, or fall;
Or helps th' ambitious hill the heav'ns to scale,
Or scoops in circling theatres the vale;
Calls in the country, catches opening glades,
Joins willing woods, and varies shades from shades,

So fingers crossed for the next few weeks, it may be will happen or not.

6 comments:

  1. Moves are a blend of anticipation, nostalgia, confusion, topped off with sheer exhaustion. If I thought our current one would be simpler I have been quickly shifted to reality.
    Once the heavy physical conveyance of possessions is accomplished, then begins the phase of settling in to [hopefully] feel 'at home.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well there is no guarantee we shall get the house, 'gazumphing' still takes place in this country but we have started. Yes I know it is difficult the whole paraphenalia of moving and I am sure you must be tired of it but it does re-energise you ;)

      Delete
  2. Well thelma - quite a turn about, but I am sure you will be happy in the farmhouse. I hope the current house you are in sells quickly. As MM and I both know, this is not always the case! You will be near family though, which is good, and it is an area you know and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are more people down here in Chelmsford buying houses of course so we will see but there is no guarantee on anything! I think it is the area that has the strong attraction, the family are still on the other side of Yorkshire, about a hundred miles away.

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness! I would choose Yorkshire over Cornwall personally so I think you've made the right choice. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well we will see, our friend in Cornwall is bombarding us with places at the moment Em, none of them any good though ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!