Thursday, February 11, 2016

Perfect balls of fluff



Nuthatch
There is a feeling of renewal in the air, bird song round the garden, the young squirrels playing helter-skelter round the trees.  Nuthatches have been spied on the bird table, and also tree creepers are around, and I am sure I saw a few green finch on the lawn the other day.  The little wren flies round like a small moth, the screech of the returning blackbirds heralds battles galore on the lawn, all in all a welcome sight. The owl/owls must live in the grave yard for we hear them as dusk settles and then first thing in the morning.

Coffee mornings this week, plus yesterday we had coffee in town with C who is helping out with a meeting for the wall paintings in Pickering church to be given heritage lottery money for some restoration I presume.  The family are coming this weekend, not sure how that is going to go but fingers crossed.

Rachel brought some homemade jam and marmalade, don't need to make any of my own, and whilst she was with us Christine came round for some eggs.  Our three chickens have produced three eggs nearly every day since we have had them.  We have been putting them outside for people, free or a donation to the church, but I shall have to keep a dozen for my daughter this weekend.

The chenille cushion is finished, was for my daughter, but LS thinks it goes with his large carp painting and so seems to have migrated to his chair! No photo at the moment blogger is refusing...


A frosty morning



9 comments:

  1. Birdsong here too Thelma. Ispotted a treecreeper going up the scots pines earlier, and the robins are falling out over the meal worms. We have had a lame pheasant by the bird table all winter and he has become very tame. Now a healthy one has arrived and chased him off. The time of year and the survival of the fittest to pass on the right genes I suppose, but I am sad he has gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad but it is the way of the world. We have all the other birds as well, chaffinches, the whole family of tits, but it is the ones that turn a trick or two that I notice.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you are settling in well in your new home. We have Nuthatches at both front and back bird-feeders, and ditto Woodpeckers, Goldfinches, and gangs of House Sparrows, Chaffinches, Blue and Great Tits. The Tree Creeper is elsewhere in the garden, but those blasted Jackdaws come and ruin anything and have demolished the fat balls I put out yesterday, despite me banging on the window at them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we have had to buy another bird table, as the wind toppled over the old one till it broke into its component pieces, and the squirrels are a nuisance helping themselves to all the sunflower seed. Our jackdaws are more afraid than yours.

      Delete
  3. Thelma - with regard to your answer on my blog today - you speak of your childhood and Wolverhampton. Were you brought up somewhere near there? I spent most of my teaching life there so would love to know where you lived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I was brought up by my grandfather, think as a young child we lived in Penn Hill, then moved to Willenhall for about 7 years, then back to I think Bantock Park. I went to school at Ely House and then to a Dominican Convent in Brewood. Then we moved to London when I was about 15. Half brother and cousin went to Tettenhall College, so we were all educated there. My family history was one drama after another! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We lived in Finchfield, just the other side of Bantock Park, towards the Bridgnorth Road.
    I taught on the edgeof Willenhall.
    My son went to Tettenhall College. Coincidences. I left in 1987.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think it was called Penn Hill Thelma. (thought this in the middle of the night!) Pennhill is up here (we can see it from our window). It was Penn Fields.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You could be right, this was the first house that my grandfather bought when he came back from Belgium, I was only small, and the only photo I have was my brother and me standing by a car. Think I went to a nursery run by nuns there, my only abiding memory was of a little girl peeing on the floor and the nun cleaning it up ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love having comments!